Active Directory Groups Not Working

Nov 23, 2012 at 6:31 AM

Hi I have been using this to hide views from certain users and all seems to work well when those users are put into permissions as users, However we also want to hide some views from groups within AD when I add the group it does not work. Therefore I have to go through and add all users individually This is a pain.

Can you help

Nov 23, 2012 at 1:49 PM

If you check the "vice-versa" button, then you can just select the users or groups who ARE ALLOWED.  I found a trick, however, if you want to totally get rid of a view (perhaps that you can't delete), then enable vice-versa and then use your own login or an admin login in that box.  Nobody will see it except you!  If you don't want even YOU to see it, then create a fake user and put him in that box.

Another trick, which makes this addon very useful is this:

GroupA and GroupB have permissions for the site.

GroupC belongs to GroupB.

You can exclude GroupC, and even if they belong to GroupB, they still don't have access!  Wonderful! 

At least this is how it works in my tests.  Hopefully Mr. Andalik doesn't change that feature!

A bug, however, if you export the library as a template, the settings for this addon do NOT get saved.  You will have to make the changes manually on every site.

Coordinator
Nov 27, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Hello. Please send me more info about this AD group.

For Example. AD group which you add to input has other AD groups or there are only users in this AD group.

I have tested everything and for me AD groups are working....Hmm..Thank you

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Damian, is the group a "security" group or a "distribution" group?  When you say it doesn't work, well, *what* doesn't work?  That is, do you mean that when you add the group, the name-check doesn't validate?  If you just created the group, or just added certain users, you might have to wait a few minutes for your timer jobs to update the AD accounts to Sharepoint.